Red Bend Software Announces vDirect Mobile™1 Enhanced Device Management Client Software Now Available as a Stand-alone Product Offering; Enables Operators and Manufacturers to Break the Dependency of Closed DM Systems
WALTHAM, Mass., February 4, 2008 – Red Bend Software, the market leader in Mobile Software Management, today announced immediate availability of vDirect Mobile™, a standards-based device management (DM) client for mobile phones and wireless devices. vDirect Mobile is Red Bend’s next-generation DM client that offers enhanced functionality and is available as a stand-alone product or with Red Bend’s other mobile software management client solutions—vCurrent® Mobile and vRapid Mobile™.
In 2007, device management standards from the Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) became adopted globally by operators and manufacturers as the preferred management protocol for mobile devices. Market analyst firm Ovum predicts that by the end of 2009, OMA DM client software will be available in 77% of new mobile phones and will be an established part of the handset technology landscape, with penetration in over half of the installed base.
In response to increasing market demand by operators and manufacturers for a proven and independent DM client, Red Bend has introduced vDirect Mobile. vDirect Mobile is an enhancement to Red Bend’s previous device management offering, known as RDM—a software library which has been available with the company’s market-leading vCurrent Mobile FOTA client and deployed in tens of millions of mobile phones worldwide. vDirect Mobile offers upgraded functionality over RDM, including easy integration, platform agnostic and a modular architecture for improved time to market.
“By focusing on the client, we have proven our expertise in the complex challenges of managing software on remote mobile devices,” said Yoram Salinger, CEO of Red Bend Software. “Having provided the best and most deployed FOTA solution in the market, operators and manufacturers are now turning to Red Bend for DM because we offer them a trusted and standards-based solution that breaks the dependency of closed DM systems.”
vDirect Mobile is a full-functioned device management client that provides provisioning, configuration, device information retrieval and security to meet expanding requirements for mobile software management by operators and manufacturers. It is proven across multiple platforms, operating systems and memory types on feature phones, smartphones and machine-to-machine (M2M) modules, in order to:
· Provision and activate new subscribers
· Deploy firmware updates over-the-air (FOTA)
· Configure parameters including preferred roaming lists
· Recover the DM session in the event of power loss (fail-safe)
· Retrieve device data such as diagnostics, billing and inventory
· Conduct lock & wipe and device reset
· Customize the DM user interface and experience
The software has been tested for interoperability with device management servers from nine vendors and is compliant with industry standards and best practices:
Open Mobile Alliance (OMA):
· OMA DM 1.2
· OMA DM 1.1.2
· OMA DL 1.0
· FUMO 1.0
Open Mobile Terminal Platform (OMTP)
· DM enabler 1.0
“As new standards emerge and as our customers’ requirements evolve, we will continue to invest in the development of vDirect Mobile and ensure interoperability with DM servers,” said Salinger.
Mobile Software Management Solutions
vDirect Mobile is the third mobile software management offering from Red Bend. It joins:
· vCurrent Mobile—enables manufacturers and operators to update firmware over-the-air (FOTA). The market leader deployed on 255 million mobile phones worldwide, vCurrent Mobile is the first FOTA client to update firmware while a consumer is using the phone, without taking the device offline. vCurrent Mobile is available in 137 handset models from leading manufacturers including LG, Motorola, NEC, Sharp, Sony Ericsson and Toshiba.
· vRapid Mobile—enables manufacturers and operators to update, add, configure and remove individual software components over the air (SCOTA). vRapid Mobile creates new revenue opportunities for the entire mobile value chain to deliver software features, applications and services easily and securely over-the-air to feature phones and smartphones in the hands of consumers.