Mformation to Deliver Highly Robust Mobile Computing Solution Using Intel® Anti-Theft Technology1
Latest solution brings new level of security while managing mobile computing devices across cellular networks
Mformation® Technologies Inc., the leading provider of advanced mobile device management (MDM) solutions, today announced that it is improving manageability and security of mobile PCs using Intel® Anti-Theft Technology (Intel® AT) combined with the Mformation OMA DM client (Open DM™) to manage and disable mobile PCs over cellular networks once they are reported lost or stolen.
Rowan Scranage, SVP Global Business Development and Corporate Strategy at Mformation commented: “We see the computing segment as a key area for mobile device and security management, and want to bring a similar level of manageability to computing devices as we already bring to mobile devices. We are excited to work with Intel to combine their hardware-based Intel® Anti-Theft Technology with our mobile device management technology to create a winning solution for this segment. We plan to provide this solution across a wide range of computing platforms.”
The solution combines Mformation’s own standards-based Open DM™ client with Intel® Anti-Theft technology on the devices. The Open DM™ client executes below the operating system level and allows the computing devices to be more securely managed and supported over the cellular network. Remote management of the computing device support improved usage, reduced costs and compliance with security policies via a number of management capabilities:
- Lock the devices making it harder to access the network and data on the devices — a critical capability, especially for enterprises.
- Disable access to the devices remotely. The platform offers enhanced security by full platform disablement, which also reduces any incentive to default on subscriptions or contracts.
- Manage and enforce policies on the devices, including offloading data traffic onto Wi-Fi.
- Ensure that IT Help Desk and customer care staff can diagnose problems easily and resolve support calls quickly.
- Inventory the devices, including device capabilities, modem, OS, registry and application information.
- Provide service assurance for both enterprises and consumers through platform disablement functions.
- Manage “vanilla” mobile broadband devices from open market or other retail outlets.
- Configure and reconfigure network parameters.
“Laptops and other mobile devices accessing corporate networks over wireless are becoming an accepted usage and a fast growing trend,” said George Thangadurai, General Manager of Intel’s PC Client Services Division. “This creates a huge challenge for enterprises to protect and manage these devices. Intel® Anti-Theft Technology capabilities together with Mformation’s client/server management technology combine a silicon-hardened device lock with other device manageability features, enabling enterprises and mobile operators to join forces enhancing device security.”
Mformation’s device management platform supports nearly 5,000 different mobile device models, with support for computing devices being added now. Computing devices are an important new category of supported devices. Mformation’s MDM platform is continually evolving to support new next-generation networks, devices and value-added services. Mformation’s extensive experience with OMA DM and other standards, and demonstrated leadership in managing standards-compliant mobile devices, are critical to the seamless management of computing devices.